H2R CPA Blog

H2R CPA Tax Tip: Deducting Moving Expenses

by H2R CPA Team

Did you know…?

You may be able to deduct moving expenses (for you and your pet!) if the move was associated with a job change.

If you changed jobs or employers, then you might be able to deduct your moving expenses — with conditions. Your move must coincide with the start of a new job, and your new job must be further than 50 miles from your prior home.
If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks for the first year after you move. If you are starting your first-ever full time job and meet the distance requirement, you can deduct the moving costs. There’s no limit to the employee moving expenses tax deduction.
Believe it or not, if your pet is also moving for your new job, those moving costs could also be tax-deductible. For example, if your employment-related move is 50 or more miles away, you might be able to deduct your pet’s shipping costs.

At H2R CPA, we are pleased to assist clients with determining the appropriate tax deductions for their unique business situations. Contact us at 412-391-2920 or team@h2rcpa.com for more information.